Monday, May 28, 2007

The Accident continued


I awake to hear the commotion in the house and hop out of bed. I see my parents standing next to each other, and my baby brother being worked on by 2 EMS workers on the floor. Apparently, my brother had stopped breathing or was having difficulty breathing at some point during the night and my parents called EMS. They got to the house and took Kevin out on the stretcher to bring him back to Milwaukee Children's. I don't remember a lot of what was said that night, I only know the end results.

We arrived at the ER and we were ushered into the room in which Kevin was being held. Expecting to see Kevin sitting up smiling like he always was, my parents and I were met with something very different. Kevin was in a bed, intubated and on a ventilator. The ER doctor, who was different than the one from earlier, had said something about Kevin not getting enough oxygen to his brain. I don't really remember a lot of the conversation. Who could? Sitting there looking at your younger brother with a tube sticking out of his mouth. The doctor told my parents they weren't sure how much Kevin would recover from the incident, how much brain damage had occurred, or if he would ever really recover at all. We stayed at the hospital for quite awhile. Waiting for any slight change. That change would never come. Kevin remained intubated and in a coma. The doctors gave my parents a choice of waiting longer or stopping the ventilator. The final diagnosis was that he had fractured his trachea/larynx at the time of the fall, and suffered severe brain damage. Kevin must have had laryngospasms in the night which caused him to have the lack of oxygen. They took some time to think about it,and had decided to stop the ventilator.

On that day Kevin proved to everyone how much of a fighter he really was. When the vent was shut off, Kevin began breathing on his own. Slowly at first, but more frequently as time went on. Kevin remained comatose. Kevin then had a tracheostomy to compensate for the crushed trachea and larynx. Kevin remained comatose throughout his stay at Children's. A J-Tube was placed in Kev's abdomen for feeding purposes. Kevin was released from Children's hospital later that month. The doctors continued to tell us that there was little to no brain activity present on the EEG (Electroencephalograph). I know they said he had no brain activity, but there were times when he would track you with his eyes, move his arms and legs a little, but nothing more than that. There were times where you could tell he was in pain. He would cry and tears would fall from his eyes. He was in this state for four years. We talked to him, played with him, fed him, changed him, and suctioned his trach (I got to be VERY proficient in deep tracheal suctioning). I like to think he didn't suffer those four years, but at times I knew he was suffering. What child that age deserves to live in that private hell of a wheelchair. Not being able to play or run with other kids his age. What my parents did that day in Children's had to be one of the hardest days of their lives. I hope and pray that I never have to make that decision.

The morning Kevin died my parents woke me up and told me that Kevin had died during the night. I remember climbing into his bed and holding him for a very long time. I wouldn't let anyone in the room to bother us. I needed that time to be with my little brother. Every time someone would come in I would scream for them to get out and to leave us alone. They listened to my demands for as long as they could. Finally my parents came in and carried me out of the house kicking and screaming. That was the last time I would ever see my little brother Kevin... Kevin was cremated and his ashes were spread near a scenic overlook we always played at that he loved.

Kevin was born August 22, 1972. His accident was Aug 8, 1976. 14 days shy of his 4th birthday. Not a very happy birthday. He died May 3, 1981. He was 8 years old, 3 months shy of his 9th birthday. He was here for a short time, but he had a reason to be here. Am I sure of that reason? I don't fully know yet.

R.I.P. Kevin,
Your Big Brother
Bobby


Me @ Children's Aug 76/Parents & me @ Children's/Kev & me June 76

1 comment:

pakosta said...

that is so sad.
my sister just sent me your blog today. i am so sorry i never knew you had a brother....may he rest in peace..
love your s-i-l,
tara